Monday, September 3, 2007

This'll be my first post to the new "family blog". It might even be the first post period. I'm writing it from work, and I'm not sure if Jennifer has posted anything yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that many of my posts will be coming via my work e-mail.

There are a few things that factor into that assumption. First, I work a lot. I've worked nearly 600 hours of overtime so far this year. There aren't many people in the lab that have more overtime than me (9 have more at the time of this posting). Second, I have lots of free time at work. I work 12 hour shifts, but there is probably only 8 hours of actual work involved. Third, I have EXTREMELY limited internet access. Visits to MSN, Foxnews, and Chron.com account for 99.8% of my browsing time. Therefore, I can think of no better use (waste) of my time than to chronicle our family's exploits on this new blog.

And so, without any more ado whatsoever...

Our little family unit is a little over 8 months old, but we've had plenty going on. We're expecting a baby girl to join us near the end of this month. Her name is Julianna Elizabeth Fountain. It's a long name, I know, but a small price to pay for having such amazing initials. J.E.F. We can't wait to meet her.

I am, however, still incredibly nervous about having a baby around. I only have experience with children 2 years and up. I'm not sure about what's supposed to go down during the first two years. I've heard it involves a few diapers. Yay.

And as if this last month of pregnancy isn't stressful enough, these next few weeks are going to put my personal stress-level at the max. I don't want to go into that right now however (I'm very superstitious). Just keep your fingers crossed for me, and send some good karma my way.

In other family news, Jayden's baseball skills are rapidly improving. He can catch the ball with his glove if the ball is headed in the general vicinity of said glove. His throwing has vastly improved as well, but sometimes he thinks too much and it all goes haywire. We haven't had the chance to bat much lately, but that was already his strongest baseball skill. We would have signed him up for the fall season of T-ball, but with Julianna on the way we have had to push that back. That'll give him ammo for sibling animosity when he grows up. "She always gets what SHE wants! I didn't even get to start playing baseball when I could have because of HER! It's not fair!"

Speaking of baseball, we all got to go to an Astros game a few days ago. Jayden has really taken an active interest in the Astros. As you can imagine, I am pretty pumped about this development. I even got him involved in some friendly, harmless heckling action. After Ty Wiggington slide into second to break up a double play, the shortstop was lying in pain near the bag for several minutes. Here goes Jayden at the top of his little lungs, "RUB SOME DIRT ON IT!!" It was freaking hilarious, and our whole section must have thought so too. And don't think for a second that Jayden didn't notice because here he goes again with a resounding, "WALK IT OFF!!!!". Niiiice. I know Jennifer was loving it too by how red her face and ears were. She might have been embarrassed, but personally I've never been so proud.

Well, I better get back to work. Jennifer and I will be updating this thing pretty often (that's the plan at least) so that everyone can see what we're up to. We have some exciting days ahead of us, and we'd like to share them and keep a record of them. I guess we could have kept a journal or something, but I have awful handwriting.

So on behalf of our little family, welcome to our blog and keep checking back for more!

1 comment:

MSF said...

Its amazing how well you actually write, given that you graduated from TAMU! I'll try to figure out how to access this site again later, but as you know I'm handicapped by old age and by having graduated from WVU and SFA.