Monday, November 19, 2007

Mr. Mom

Today I am watching Jules while Jennifer is at work. I have a sneaking suspicion that she would rather be here with us. Am I right babe?

Taking care of Julianna is pretty easy most of the time even without the user's manual (she didn't come with one!) There are just a few things that upset her, and apparantly most other babies have these same issues. That's helpful because I can research these issues in books or on the internet and come up with unique solutions to solve whatever might be bothering her.

In no particular order, here is a list of the most common things that piss Julianna off.
  • dirty/wet diaper
  • hungry
  • tired
  • uncomfortable

The first three issues are pretty simple to solve, and I have become adept at the skills necessary for resolution. I can change a diaper. I can warm up milk and put all the pieces of the bottle together (I'm good at puzzles). I can set her down to nap in her bouncy chair or in the cradle. It's all very simple actually. The challenge comes when there are multiple issues going on all at once. I've noticed on more than one occasion that Julianna might be tired, hungry, AND have a dirty diaper! Whew. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

The last issue on the list is the most vague, which tends to make it the most difficult problem to solve. Is she cold? Hot? Does she need to burp? Is she tired of being in her carseat? Tired of being in her bouncy chair? I DON'T KNOW!! At eight weeks of age she STILL doesn't have the tools necessary to communicate her wants and desires to me. So basically, if she's still upset and crying after I've already changed her diaper, fed her, and set her down to sleep, then I am in no man's land. That's when it gets frustrating for me. Oh well, she should be talking any day now right? Then it'll be a piece of cake.

I'm noticing something else about Julianna. I think sometimes she likes to play games with me. Just kinda mess with me ya know? For example, I'll set her down in her chair and give her a pacifier to calm her down. She will look me in the eyes, spit it out, and then start to cry again. At first I thought it was an accident, but occasionally she will spit it out half a dozen times before she finally keeps it in her mouth. I don't know what's up with that, but I'm starting to think that she finds it very amusing.

On work:
I have to work on Thanksgiving Day this year. To be accurate, I will actually be working from 2 p.m. until 6 a.m. on Friday morning. I'm only scheduled to work from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Thanksgiving night, but two people just took vacation at the last minute. I sorta volunteered to take the 4 hours so that someone else wouldn't be forced to work. Aren't I a nice guy? This will be my first holiday to work while being employed by ExxonMobil. Turns out I'm going to make quite a bit of $$ on Thanksgiving. That also might have something to do with why I took the extra 4 hours. But I am still a nice guy.

On Houston sports:
The Astros are making trades and signing players right and left. However I have no idea if they'll be any better than they were last year. I would say, "They can't get any worse," but that's a jinx if I've ever heard one.

The Houston Dynamo won the MLS Championship yesterday! That makes them back-to-back champions, which is only the second time in MLS history that has happened. This team has been in Houston for two years and they have won the championship both years. Before they moved to Houston they were located in San Jose where they won the championship in 2001 and 2003. People, that is FOUR championships in seven years. Call it the Dynamo Dynasty, because that is what it is. Go Dynamo!!

And finally, the Houston Texans beat the New Orleans Saints yesterday to make their record 5-5. That's the best record the Texans have ever had after 10 games in the season. If Andre Johnson hadn't gotten hurt and missed the last 7 games, I feel confident that we would be at least 7-3 right now. Oh well. At least they are improving. They are starting to become a fun team to watch, and that's no minor victory.

Well, I had better get back to being Mr. Mom. I can't wait to see everyone this coming weekend. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

p.s. Leave a comment if you read this blog. It'll make us happy.

5 comments:

MSF said...

Jeff: I don't believe her talking will make it any easier! Kids just seem to find a way to keep us parents confused. I'm sure I never figured you out! I agree with you on the sports issues. I believe Astros will be better when they get somebody to pitch other than Oswalt. See you Friday, Dad

Jennifer Fountain said...

You are 100% correct -- I would much rather be there with you guys!

Janise said...

I REALLY need to print these out and save them!!! In a few years you will be saying she never shuts up and is always talking back. Ain't parenting fun??? It really is, but it sure does remind us that we aren't in control.

Jaylyn was told by someone that Princess Julianna is THE most beautiful baby they have ever seen. All I can say is... like mother like daughter.

Can't wait to see y'all!

debby said...

well Jeff, I thought you knew how to multitask??!! lol. don't worry you'll figure it all out. she's prob just a bit spoiled already!! on the work issue....I've pretty much done all the work, hardly any colors, so all you'll have is one afternoon dewax (if it comes today) and a manual freeze. Wow, your getting the big, big bucks to work those extra 4 hours and YOU WON'T BE DOING HARDLY ANYTHING!!! lol. j/k...but it's true! well, hope ya'll have a happy thanksgiving. I'll see ya at 6am.
Debby

Anonymous said...

can i get a little update on JBM? haven't seen the little guy in forever and i need to know how he is/what funny things he's saying now :)
thanks, auntie lel