Saturday, November 3, 2007

Touchy Touchy

I know babies are cute and you just want to pinch their chubby cheeks and kiss their tiny hands...but please don't touch my baby.

While I was pregnant I had endless questions from strangers about when I was due, what was the gender, was this my first, etc etc etc...but I only had two strangers who randomly touched my belly. The first Jeff and I refer to as the drive-by toucher -- we were at a restaurant waiting to be seated and a Hispanic lady that works there reached out and rubbed my belly as she was passing by. A drive by. The other was a lady that works at Shipley's -- I was getting us donuts one morning and she asked when I was due (3 weeks) and if she could touch my belly (uh, sure?)...but at least she asked.

A few weeks ago at Target, Jules and I were in the checkout line. We had made it through 80% of my grocery list before she started getting fussy, which I consider quite an accomplishment. The checker was scanning/bagging my groceries and I went around to the front of the buggy to put the bags in the cart and get ready to pay when Julianna's paci must have fallen out because she started crying again. I turn around to find that the lady who was in line behind me was taking it upon herself to reach into my baby's seat, find her paci, and give it back to her, not to mention the fact that she was all up in Jules' face cooing at her. As I stepped back to the front the lady backed away and I gave kind of a smile/grimace in the lady's direction, then checked on Jules. I went back around to finish paying and the lady stepped BACK up to be right beside Julianna! What is this lady doing? I thought to myself. I finished paying and pulled the buggy forward so I could finish putting the bags in it. By this time Jules was really riled up (she doesn't like being in that seat in the first place and certainly doesn't like it when she's hungry and strange people are all up in her business) and there was another lady in line who was a bit older. She asked me how old "he" was and I replied that "SHE" was 3 weeks -- hello?! she's dressed all in pink with a pink blanket! At least she didn't touch.

I went with my parents to watch my sister cheer at one of her college football games. Afterwards, we went to eat at a Mexican food restaurant. Julianna was starving, so I decided to go feed her in the car. My dad had just gone to the restroom and he had the keys so I went up to the front lobby (near the restrooms) to wait on him, holding Julianna in my arms. The hostess asked how old Jules was, told me how cute she is (duh), then asked if she could hold her. I'm sorry, you're a stranger, at work, I have no idea who you are, and you want to hold my baby? I politely declined blaming Julianna's cranky attitude and hungry belly.

I just don't understand how random people want to touch and hold random babies? It just doesn't make sense to me...no matter how cute, I couldn't imagine touching/holding some strange kid. You can admire from afar, but if I don't know you, please keep your distance!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe you should post some more pictures of this adorably cute baby of your's so that we can admire from afar and not bother your (or her) personal space :)

just kidding! sorry you're having stranger annoyances.. love you!
-auntie lel

Janise said...

...should'a had an ugly baby if you didn't want people messing with her!
hahaha