Friday, July 9, 2010

Overly Blessed

I'm learning that James really only cries for three reasons: (1) he's hungry, (2) he wants to change positions {i.e. lay down, sit up, lay on your shoulder, etc.}, or (3) he's tired. Other than that he will kick and wave and smile and laugh...and just be a perfect little baby!

When he wakes up from napping during the day, he usually likes to sit and look at you and laugh for a little while. Then he'll start to fuss to let me know that he's ready to eat. After I nurse him, he likes to lay down on his pallet while he stretches and looks in his little mirror at how handsome he is. After he's played for a while he'll start to fuss to let me know he's ready for another nap. I'll swaddle him up, give him his pacifier, go lay him down, and he falls asleep.

I have been blessed with great babies.

With all 3 I had manageable labor and easy delivery. With all 3 I have had babies who were natural nursers, so I was able to easily breastfeed. With all 3 I have had great nocturnal sleepers. With all 3 I have had babies who rarely to never spit up. With the older 2 we never had fussing during teething, they took right to eating baby foods then solid, they were easy to potty-train, they still love their sleep (even Jayden still naps sometimes, and Jules will ask "Is it time for bed?" or just go get in bed herself!), and they're still easy-going, laid-back, happy-go-lucky kids. So far James has fit right into their abnormally easy baby pattern, and I hope he continues to stay that route as he gets older!

Don't think I'm bragging about how great and easy my kids are...they definitely have their moments! I just know that I'm so lucky to have such great kids, and one day when they look back and read this blog (will they even still exist in the fuuutuuuuure?!) I want them to know that I know I'm blessed :)


Sidenote: New parents should nevvver under-estimate the power of swaddling a baby! Babies love to be snug and cozy when they're going to sleep, and wrapping them up like a burrito helps them feel safe and secure. I swaddle my babies forever -- I can't remember how old the older Js were when I stopped swaddling them. Even now, in the summer, Baby J is swaddled in a light blanket when it's time for him to sleep.

{Ignore the fact the poor guy is sleeping on a pink sheet -- he was 2 weeks old and we didn't have a blue sheet yet!}

2 comments:

The Bass Family said...

Glad to see that you are doing so well...you already know, but you're babies are adorable...and look just like you I might add! Keep blogging...I like to know what is going on!! :)

leahcrabb said...

cute cute jenn. i agree about the swaddling. emily loved it too. she is a good sleeper too, always has been. praise the lord for good babies! we are blessed. love your blog too...by the way.